Sweden

On our last day in Sweden, we were having fika in a cute shop with my cousin Charlie when a man approached our table. He started with "I overheard you talking about London and it is the most wonderful city in the world. People in London are the nicest in the world.", and gave us a few suggestions of where to go and what to see. He then ventured into "I don't mean to offend you (to Charlie) but Swedes never stop to smell the roses. They are always in a rush and keep to themselves."

We appreciated his advice, and he wasn't rude in tone, but what he was saying was the complete opposite of what we experienced in Sweden. My relatives have always been so interested in getting to know people they meet. They are very laid back, they have conversations with people at restaurants and shops, and treat their family so incredibly well. This could just be the personalities of my relatives- they could be the minority for Swedes.

However, we didn't spend all of our time with my cousins. We met a few of their friends who cooked delicious and delicate meals for us, who welcomed us into their homes, who showed us around their neighborhoods, and who insisted we not help with any cooking or cleaning. But maybe my cousins attract other kind and welcoming people, and befriend the other minority of Swedes. They have to stick together, after all.

But what really contradicted the man's statement about Swedes being unfriendly, keeping to themselves, and not "stopping to smell the roses" occurred in the middle-of-nowhere Sweden.

A little background: My cousins, Christin and Charlie, took me to the home where my great-great grandmother was born. My great-great grandmother later moved with her husband and sons (one being my great grandfather) to the United States in the early 1900s. The home is a historic landmark now, so there was a stand outside with a photo of my relatives in the 1900s before they moved. It was amazing to be standing where they stood so long ago. I was the 6th or 7th generation to visit the home. It was incredible to do that, and to be the first of my generation to do so!

But back to the journey- the house doesn't have an address. So finding it was difficult. After close to an hour of wrong turns, we passed a walking couple and asked for directions. Thanks to their help, we finally arrived! And once we got there, the walking couple was there, too. They had walked to the house to ensure that we made it. They mainly spoke Swedish, so they were talking to my cousins about the area and our history regarding the house. After a while of chatting, they invited us to their home for fika.

Side note: Fika is an important part of the Swedish culture and lifestyle. Fika is essentially a coffee (or tea) break that sometimes (usually) includes snacks. One can "have fika" or "take a fika" at any time
of day, and it can be 15 minutes to several hours long. One can have fika with a coworker when needing a break from work, with friends on a weekend, or at home with loved one. Fika is amazing.

So, the walking couple invited us to their home for fika. Raise your hand if a stranger has ever invited you over for coffee after meeting you in the middle of no where. Anyone? I don't assume to be the only one who has a story like this (so please, I would love to hear if you do have a similar story!). However, this is definitely not common. I don't think I have ever experience this. Also, we were a group of 6, and they were a group of 2. It wasn't "oh we have some cookies to share with a few people". Our group was three times the size of theirs, and they prepared coffee and sandwiches and cookies for us to enjoy. It was the most random act of kindness and generosity. So, sir, I kindly disagree. Swedes, from my perspective, are some the kindest, most hospitable and easy going people who stop to smell not only the roses, but also the coffee (oh, there is always coffee!).

Robyn's favorite: The company. It was so fun to catch up with family and to walk where my ancestors have walked. Sweden felt like home. Also, fika.

Derik's favorite: Cheese, architecture, and the Icebar.
Stockholm


The home where my great--great grandmother was born 


The sign in front of the house




Icebar

















Fika with family








Having fika with the walking couple


Comments

  1. The water is so pretty in your picture with the boat. the walking couple sets a nice table!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment