And We're Offf!

This last week in Austin has been amazing. My cousin and aunt squeezed in a visit and South by Southwest festival came and went. We packed, cleaned, and said "see ya laters" 's (never goodbye) while drinking wine and champagne on the floor of our empty apartment.

I don't think it's really hit that this chapter has ended. I am sad, but there is still so much to look forward to and I have had very little down time to process everything. Being an internal processed (an introvert), I don't think it'll hit until we have a quiet moment or two.

As I am typing this in the car (the road trip has begun!), the song "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros came on through the radio as we were shuffling stations. This song became Derik and my song early on after moving to Austin. The lyrics stating: "Home. Let me come home. Home is wherever I'm with you." Being so far from our actual home and family, this song was so applicable and comforting.

Full circle.

Can we talk about fate for a sec? Life seems to always come full circle, just by chance. On my last day in Morgantown (the city I lived in before Austin), my friends surprised me with a going away dinner at Black Bear. That was the first restaurant in which I ate after moving there. My friends didn't know this- it was just fate. With Austin, Derik and I first visited during St. Patty's weekend (we moved three months later) and are now leaving at the same time two years later- full circle.

One more example: Derik worked part-time at Thom's Market as a "beer guy"- essentially ordering craft beer and recommending such beers to customers. He got the job by having a thirty minute conversation with a manager, Justin, about different craft beers. "You really know your stuff", the manager said, and Derik was hired on. That conversation included Derik trying to find a specific beer after forgetting the name, and Justin helping him to find it through descriptions. When Derik said "see ya later" at Thom's this week, Justin gave him a case of Live Oak Hefewiesen- the beer of that first conversation. Full circle.

So, with the circles complete, we say "see ya later, Austin"! And let the road trip begin!

Comments

Post a Comment